I spend my life largely upon journalism and drinking, bleeding booze and bad journalistic references to things that happened before my time. Lately, I guess I realize the mere mortality of my profession and the foolishness that it endows upon us. We fight day to day to become something that has essentially become a sellout to the system that supports us. We cow before the corporate world, fearing that they will harbor our destruction and demise, wondering if ads will spell the end our our career lifelines.
To be dead honest, who cares?
Even if we are systematically torn apart by corporate Canada, what does it really matter? Perpetuated as martyrs will only render us as the pitiable figures of culture, rendered useless by those in a position of monetary and political power. We become an ideal, if only the best of what we do, fighting for something that has long since been lost. The integrity that so defined us during the times of Woodward and Bernstein has long since faded, leaving us as mere shadows of what once was. We are, as an industry, shadows of what once represented us. The powerful personalities that took on governments and captains of industry. We cannot compare to the days of what essentially could be contrived as sheriffs of the social world we exist within, but we can fight for something, be it good or bad. We fight for nothing but information at this point, bought and sold by those who control the money and power in our society. What chance do we have? None at all, but that retains our social conscience. That is what keeps us as useful foils to those in society who choose to impress their perspective on everyone else. And that is what keeps us useful to the everyday components of society. The part that holds people questionable for their acts. And yes, we will die as an industry. But the truth remains as the great equal to all the bad that occurs in our world. And we must embrace that as the only good we can do anymore.

I wish I could look blindly at the fact that I would be entering a career in a dying industry and then justify it by proclaiming that I am responsible for maintaining a somewhat unestablished moral code and seeking a non-existent truth.
ReplyDelete.....thank GOD I'm in business, I'll be rolling in more cheese then a pimped mouse. Who needs to feel good about upholding a social order or even following ethics? It's all a subjective topic anyways.
Hahahaha I kid, I kid. Great read Van!